PARLIAMENT HILL and the PLAINS OF ABRAHAM
Virtual Picture Tour

By Wilfredor - Own work, CC BY-SA 4.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=79451439

The Parliament Building 

 

The Parliament Building was designed by architect Eugène-Étienne Taché and constructed between 1877 and 1886. It is an eight-story building featuring the Second Empire architectural style popular in both Europe and the United States in the latter 19th century.

26 bronze statues of prominent explorers, missionaries, founders, governors, and politicians in the New France and the British regime were displayed on the facade of the building. The main entrance was engraved with the province’s coat of arms and motto “Je me souviens”, “I remember” in English, to honor those remarkable figures.

Tourists can visit the place either on themselves or take a free guided tour. They can sit in on parliamentary proceedings, watch a film, attend an art exhibition, buy souvenirs at the gift shop and enjoy delicious local cuisines at the Le Parlementaire restaurant.

Tourny Fountain
 

 

Fontaine de Tourny was one of the twin fountains erected in the central of Allees de Tourny in Bordeaux in 1857. In the 1960s, the two fountains were removed because the Bordeaux authority replaced the Allees with an underground car park. It was then in the hands of several people before being sold to the Québecois clothing outlet La Maison Simons in Paris in 2003. Simons spent almost 4 mil million dollars to restore the fountain and presented it to Quebec City in its 400th anniversary in 2007 as a way they appreciated the contribution of the city and its people to the company’s success.

The fountain is nearly 7 m tall and has 43 water jets. It is just across from Québec’s Parliament and fits beautifully with the surroundings. Today, the fountain is a must-see attraction and favorite backdrop for wedding and travelers.

Plains of Abraham

The Plains of Abraham is a historic site within The Battlefields Park in Quebec City. This is the scene of the Battle of the Plains of Abraham in 1759 which witnessed the pivotal victory of the British army led by General Wolfe over the French forces of General Montcalm. This decisive victory had a significant impact on Québec’s architecture, defensive works and the development of Canada.

The Battlefields Park was created in 1908 to mark the 300th anniversary of the founding of Québec. Its area is 98 ha that extends westward from the Citadelle of Quebec and the rampant of Quebec City along a plateau above the Saint Lawrence River.

Today, the park is not only a vast playground for outdoor activities like jogging, skiing, snowshoeing, and skating but also a venue for big cultural events such as the premier musical Festival d’été de Québec and the Winter Carnaval.

Martello Towers

The 4 Martello towers were constructed in the British regime between 1808 and 1812 at the sites overlooking St Lawrence and Charles River. They were part of the Fortifications and intended to protect the city against possible American attacks. The tower could accommodate a dozen troops for up to a month, supplying them with enough munition, food, and water.

Martello #1

The British copied the Martello design from a similar tower at Cape Mortella in Corsica. This structure proved undamaged even when the Mortella fortress was heavily bombarded by the British.

Martello #2

There are only 3 Martello towers left now as the #3 located opposite to where Grand Theatre now stands and was demolished in 1905. Tower #1 in the Plains of Abraham overlooking St. Lawrence River. Tower #2 is located at the highest point in the city, at the corner of Taché and Laurier avenues and the #4 is on Lavigueur Street. Exhibitions are often held at Tower #1 and 2 to show the Martello’s design and how a soldier lived in the towers.

Martello #4

Observatoire de la Capitale

The Observatoire de la Capitale is situated on the top floor of the highest building Marie-Guyart on Parliament Hill. It offers a stunning panoramic view of the whole Old Quebec, St. Lawrence River, Plains of Abraham, the city’s fortifications and Île d’Orléans island at an altitude of 221 meters over 360 degrees. There is a permanent exhibition that would take you on an intuitive and imaginative journey to learn more about the history of this special city and significant events that formed the Quebec identity.

Par Stéphane Voyer — La source n’a pas pu être reconnue automatiquement. « Travail personnel » supposé (étant donné la revendication de droit d’auteur)., CC BY-SA 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=979882

Panoramic view of Parliament Hill and Old Quebec

Grande Allee

Grande Allee used to be a solitary road just outside the ramparts until the mid of 19th century. At that time, many wealthy families left their homes inside the fortification to avoid epidemic and the risk of fire. They came to Grande Allee to build their new, big villas and townhouse as they found more space and fresher atmosphere there.

19th century houses in Grande Allee

The second landmark marked Grande Allée’s significant development was when the city authority widened the street in the late 1880s. Parades and processions now passed along the street. Electric street lights and electric tram roads made it even more popular.

Move your mouse in a circular motion to discover the most crowded part of Grade Allee

In the 1980s, plenty of restaurants, pubs, and outdoor patio cafes were opened in Grande Allée making the area very crowded day and night through the year. Not only tourists but also locals come to eat, drink, dance and have a good time.

Manège Militaire

Manège Militaire is a massive stone building with barbican windows and false loopholes, twin towers with a conical roof and central portal. Designed by architect Eugène-Étienne Taché and constructed between 1885 and 1888, it is the only armory designated as a National Historic Site in Canada. It is the home to the oldest French‑speaking battalion in North America, the Voltigeurs de Québec.

By Christophe.Finot - Own work, CC BY-SA 2.5, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=2724438

The Armoury before the fire (September 2007)

In April 2008, it was partially damaged in a fire, then rebuilt and reopened in May 2008. Today, the battalion no longer uses the building but there is still a museum dedicated to the regiment and its administrative offices. The renovated space is the new destination for exclusive private events such as weddings and banquets,…

By Gilbert Bochenek - Own work, CC BY 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=4445168

The Armoury after the fire

Old Quebec Virtual Tours

Tourist Guide

Virtual Video Tour

Upper Town

Lower Town

Inside Quebec City’s Wall

Place Royale

Quartier Petit Champlain

Old Port